The fifth meeting of the Global network of basins working on climate change adaptation will be organized on 26 February 2021 from 2 to 4 pm as a webinar “Climate change adaptation strategies and plans: elaboration, financing and implementation” in partnership with the International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO) under the leadership of the Netherlands and Switzerland.
The meeting will aim to share experiences, recent developments, progress, lessons learned and best practices in elaborating, financing and implementing climate change adaptation strategies and plans by the basins of the Global network. In particular, the webinar will discuss how transboundary climate change adaptation can:
be integrated into river basin management plans;
facilitate cooperation in other areas of basin development;
support national adaptation planning; and
be financed through climate funds such as Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund as well as other funding sources.
The working languages of the meeting will be English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- Ms. Sibylle Vermont, Federal Office for the Environment, Switzerland
- Mr. Niels Vlaanderen, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, the Netherlands
- Ms. Sonja Koeppel, Secretary, Water Convention
- Mr. Eric Tardieu, Secretary General, International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO)
Developing and integrating transboundary climate change adaptation into basin strategies and plans
• Mr. Eric Tardieu, Secretary General, International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO)
- Integrating climate vulnerability to the regional action framework for the management of water resources in the Amazon basin, for adaptation to climate change - Ms. María Alexandra Moreira López, Secretary General, Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO)
- Integrating the impacts of climate change on low-water flows into river basin management planning in the Meuse river basin - Mr. Jean-Noël Pansera, Secretary General, International Commission of the Meuse (ICM)
- Integrating climate change adaptation into plans for the Lake Victoria Basin - case for adaptation to climate change in Lake Victoria Basin project, - Mr. Ally Said Matano, Executive Secretary, Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC)
First exchanges and questions & answers with participants (20 min)
Financing and implementing climate change adaptation plans and strategies
• Mr. Niels Vlaanderen, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, the Netherlands
- Implementation of transboundary climate change adaptation in the Mekong basin through basin and national actions - Mr. Cong Nguyen Dinh, Climate Change Adaptation Specialist, Mekong River Commission Secretariat
- Implementation and financing of transboundary climate change adaptation in the Niger river basin - Mr. Abderahim Birémé Hamid, Executive Secretary, Niger Basin Authority (NBA),
- The ICPDR Approach for Integrating Climate Change Adaptation and Progress in the Danube River Basin Management Plan (DRBMP) Update 2021 - Mr. Ivan Zavadsky, Executive Secretary, International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR)
Second exchanges and questions & answers with participants
• Ms. Sibylle Vermont, Federal Office for the Environment, Switzerland